About Opencast Software
Opencast is an open source solution for automated video capture and distribution at scale. Build custom capture, processing, scheduling and distribution solutions for your organization with one flexible platform.
Opencast Schedule lets you schedule an event to be automatically recorded on specific days and times of the week, and the distribution channel to which the recordings will be published.
- Based on open standard iCal format
- Manual or automated capture based on schedule
- Configurable capture encoding specifications
- iCalendar import from external scheduling source
- Integrates with open source and proprietary capture hardware
- Tools for disaster recovery
Opencast Process is a workflow-based system that provides a scalable infrastructure for encoding and enriching video with metadata, preview images, brands, captioning and text analysis to make the media more discoverable and accessible.
- Customizable workflow for processing throughout the distribution life cycle
- Default encoding engine based on FFmpeg; other engines can be integrated
- Advanced media analysis, including video OCR that extracts time-synched metadata from slides
- Powerful search capabilities for static, dynamic, and user-generated metadata
- Administrative dashboard for monitoring and management of media life cycle
With Opencast Distribute enables you to publish recordings for on-demand viewing or download. Learning tools interoperability (LTI) and RSS/Atom feeds are available for integration with other systems, and publishing to iTunes U and YouTube can be automated.
- Integration with many platforms, including Learning Management Systems via LTI
- Publish as downloadable and/or streamed content
- Local search index using solr available
- Distribution via RSS/Atom to learning management systems
- Automated publishing to iTunes U and YouTube
- Custom workflows to enable distribution and archiving to local or distribution servers
The Opencast player can be used as a standalone application, or embedded inside other applications like blogs, wikis or content management systems. Opencast Playback enables slide segmentation and in-video text search. All player functionality is fully accessible, supporting assistive technology across multiple platforms.
- Split-screen player for viewing video and slide content simultaneously
- Heat maps indicate sections of content most often watched
- REST APIs make it easy to extend to or integrate players
- Easy customization and localization of the player interface
- Customizable permissions settings
- User directory integration (LDAP, CAS etc.)
- Adaptive Streaming support with HTTP Live Streaming (HLS)
Opencast Manage provides a dashboard for administrators to configure the system, make bulk edits to content and metadata, track the status and performance of content and configure distribution of video content.
- Metadata entry and editing for related recordings
- Distribution to supported channels (i.e. iTunes, YouTube, RSS, Opencast Playback)
- Manual media upload (e.g. user-generated or production video)
- Bulk editing; media trimming and recording search/filtering
- Monitoring dashboard; status, performance statistics and technical details
Getting Started with Opencast
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Opencast. This will help you determine if it’s the right solution for your organization.