Opencast Schedule lets you schedule an event to be automatically recorded on specific days and times of the week, and the distribution channel to which the recordings will be published.
- Based on open standard iCal format
- Manual or automated capture based on schedule
- Configurable capture encoding specifications
- iCalendar import from external scheduling source
- Integrates with open source and proprietary capture hardware
- Tools for disaster recovery
Opencast Process is a workflow-based system that provides a scalable infrastructure for encoding and enriching video with metadata, preview images, brands, captioning and text analysis to make the media more discoverable and accessible.
- Customizable workflow for processing throughout the distribution life cycle
- Default encoding engine based on FFmpeg; other engines can be integrated
- Advanced media analysis, including video OCR that extracts time-synched metadata from slides
- Powerful search capabilities for static, dynamic, and user-generated metadata
- Administrative dashboard for monitoring and management of media life cycle
With Opencast Distribute enables you to publish recordings for on-demand viewing or download. Learning tools interoperability (LTI) and RSS/Atom feeds are available for integration with other systems, and publishing to iTunes U and YouTube can be automated.
- Integration with many platforms, including Learning Management Systems via LTI
- Publish as downloadable and/or streamed content
- Local search index using solr available
- Distribution via RSS/Atom to learning management systems
- Automated publishing to iTunes U and YouTube
- Custom workflows to enable distribution and archiving to local or distribution servers
The Opencast player can be used as a standalone application, or embedded inside other applications like blogs, wikis or content management systems. Opencast Playback enables slide segmentation and in-video text search. All player functionality is fully accessible, supporting assistive technology across multiple platforms.
- Split-screen player for viewing video and slide content simultaneously
- Heat maps indicate sections of content most often watched
- REST APIs make it easy to extend to or integrate players
- Easy customization and localization of the player interface
- Customizable permissions settings
- User directory integration (LDAP, CAS etc.)
- Adaptive Streaming support with HTTP Live Streaming (HLS)
Opencast Manage provides a dashboard for administrators to configure the system, make bulk edits to content and metadata, track the status and performance of content and configure distribution of video content.
- Metadata entry and editing for related recordings
- Distribution to supported channels (i.e. iTunes, YouTube, RSS, Opencast Playback)
- Manual media upload (e.g. user-generated or production video)
- Bulk editing; media trimming and recording search/filtering
- Monitoring dashboard; status, performance statistics and technical details
Getting Started with Opencast
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Opencast. This will help you determine if it’s the right solution for your organization.